With the 10th Annual Hard Dance Awards just over a week away, we thought it would be an amazing opportunity to catch up with the dutch headliner Wildstylez ahead of his appearance at the Arches in Glasgow on Sat 2nd March.
1. Thanks very much for taking time out to speak to us! Can you tell the readers where you are in the world today and what you’ve been up to over the last 7 days?
At the moment I’m in the studio working on a new track which will be released over the next few months. The last 7 days were full of meetings, last weekend I had a few bookings in Holland and between all these things I try to make music.
2. Being a regular fixture at all the Major (and almighty) Q-dance raves in your native Holland, you must be used to playing front of thousands of people? What is the largest gig you have ever played and do you ever get nervous?
The largest crowd I have ever played to was 35.006 people. I’ve been on stage so many times so I don’t get nervous anymore.
3. You are headlining the 10th Annual Hard Dance Awards in Scotland on the 2nd March. Over the last couple of years you have featured in the DJ Mag Top 100 DJs Poll, what has this success meant for you as an artist?
Through this list more people over the world will be exposed to our music. So this is what it does for me.
4. When performing what is your favoured set up. Are you a fan of the latest in Pioneer CDJ technology or does a laptop now form an integral part of your performance these days?
I’m very happy with the USB technology, you can bring more music and you don’t have to carry all your CD’s with you.
5. With all your touring, how much time do you spend in the studio these days? Do you find yourself having to be more structured when making new tracks and how does a busy DJ schedule affect your music making?
I work in the studio for a minimum of 4 days a week. When there are more bookings like in the summer period, my studio time will decrease. I will never accept too many bookings if the consequence means I can’t spend as much time in the studio.
6. Many of our readers will be budding producers thirsty for knowledge. Could you kindly share with our readers one tip or trick that helps you create the Wildstylez sound?
Buy an Access Virus C ;-)
7. Do you like to listen to other styles of music at the moment and are there any elements from other genres you’re trying to fuse with your own beats at the moment?
I like to listen to house and electro. I get my inspiration by listening to other music, you will probably hear this in my music. I also listen a lot to radio.
8. With your collaborative colleague Headhunterz getting signed to the new Sony / Ultra label and other acts hitting Steve Aoki’s Dim Mak, are there any interesting label hook ups on the horizon for you this year?
We will see ;-)
9. As mainstream artists like Aoki and Skrillex start dropping more and more hardstyle, where do you think or hope the scene will progress over 2013?
I feel that the scene will progress worldwide, it’s already happening.
10. Finally, from your position at the top of the scene, can you tell us what exciting new talent you recommend we watch out for this year?
Keep an eye out for the Atmozfears!